Friday, April 11, 2008

A perfect day in the City

We had such a perfect day yesterday...we drove down to NYC with Amanda and Daniel Detling in order to have lunch with our hubbies who are working on the same project right now.

We decided to make the most of our trip down there by going to the zoo in Central Park first. It is a VERY small zoo, but the perfect size for taking 2 year olds-you can see the whole thing in about 45 minutes. Abi and Daniel had a great time running around from one exhibit to the next, Emma was a little less excited about having to ride in the stroller the whole time, but she managed.

This penguin swam right up to the kids and didn't leave them the whole time we were in this exhibit.
My favorite animal at the zoo was the polar bear, he/she (I'm not sure which it was) was very active swimming around and the view we had of the bear was from below the water, so it was neat to watch it.


It would swim one way and then float on it's back in the other direction.


Once we were done with the zoo we met up with Steve and Shannon outside of FAO Schwartz. We went and got some burgers from Pop Burgers and ate them at the tables by the fountains in front of their office building. It was a lot of fun to see Steve in the middle of the day for a change, we don't get to do that very often. I'm hoping this will become more common of an occurrence.

The thing that made this day even more perfect was that it was a beautiful 75 degrees----oh, it felt soooo good being outside in that kind of weather! And there were flowers everywhere and the trees were all starting to blossom-spring has definitely arrived in NYC. (let's hope it stays as warm!)

Central Park

I have seen these trees the last two springs and just love them and have been wanting to get a picture of one...does anyone know what it is??? I LOVE it!


By the end of our adventures the kids were worn out and ready for naps!

12 comments:

Meredith said...

What a fun day! I think that tree is a dogwood.

rachel said...

yesterday was AWSOME!!! I love 75! So of course today is cloudy..darn..but it is felling more like spring. wahoo! the zoo looks like fun.

d.r. gib said...

I was watching Max and Ruby and they found a dogwood tree and it looked similar, but it is a cartoon. It looks so nice there, and the pictures of the park are beautiful. The kids look like they had a great time.

Do anything you can afford said...

Fun pictures of one of my favorite places. Those trees are magnolia trees. Dogwoods have a very small, beige flower that doesn't bloom until later in the spring. The Magnolia blossoms are one of the first to appear in the midwest and east. I love them. Thanks for the fun time I have reading your blog and remembering my time in the "big apple."

The Parkers said...

Aaauugh! I'm missing all the bulbs! And the good weather! (glad you had a good time.)

Rachael said...

Wow - those magnolia trees look wonderful! They always bloom early - so it's good that you caught them now before a potential frost comes in. Lovely day!

Ritch in Love said...

You are giving your kids fantastic experiences...you're never going to want to leave. NYC will always hold a special place for them...watch them live there one day. You're a lucky girl!

Abi said...

So beautiful! Just yesterday Col said to me, "I miss Steve so much!" And I told him that we blog and so I feel I see you.
I am glad you guys had a great day!

Kristen said...

i am glad that you were able to go down. Yeah for warm weather.

Darleen said...

Thursday was such a beautiful day. Its so funny that all you guys husbands work together. I think the only part of the Central park zoo we like is the polar bears--quite an attraction.

The Cochran Family said...

your kids look sooo big to me all the sudden. Sooo fun, that is so cool you and Amanda could go together!

Barbara said...

That looks like a practically perfect day. Cool pictures of the polar bear! I love seeing our little girls... Love to all- Mom