Saturday, April 5, 2008

A solemn privilege

What a neat experience it was today to be able to join the rest of the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in sustaining President Thomas S. Monson as the new Prophet of our church. A lot of times when I hear sustainings, whether at church or twice yearly at General Conference, I raise my hand but I don't really pay attention. Today was a much different experience...as soon as President Uchtdorf got up to the stand to start the sustaining of the new First Presidency, I was filled with the Spirit and knew that President Monson was the man that Heavenly Father has chosen to lead the church at this time.

What an honor it was to be able to join in the sustaining of him. The last time we had a Solemn Assembly, when President Hinckley was called, I was still in High School, so it has been a long time and I had forgotten what a wonderful experience it is to participate in this-even if it was via web cast in our living room.

We are so blessed, as a church, to have a True and Living Prophet on the earth to guide us. As the world changes and becomes more and more perilous, it is so reassuring to know that the Savior is looking after us and providing us with continuous guidance through the Prophet and his Counselors.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

conference was wonderful!!! And looking below at the girls- My Lanta! They've grown up! It makes me sad to miss all the in between action. I know there's fun stuff to see and do back East, but Utah has cool things too.... love you-miss you- Mom

Jill said...

Loved your testimony, Hill!

Kristen said...

it was a great experience. Usually I just continue what I was doing, but I stopped to listen. It was a neat experience.

d.r. gib said...

That was about all of conference I have been able to listen to so far. We DVR'd it all so we can re-watch it when the kids are sleeping. It was neat to be a part of the Solemn assembly, I do not remember that from last time, with Pres. Hinckly

Ritch in Love said...

You have a beautiful way of writing about our Prophets, past and present. I was so touched by the experience as well. And now that I'm a little more mature, I guess I am, I hope I am, I think that that very meeting will always be in my heart.