As most of you know, Abi sleeps in a big girls bed with a "tent" that arches over the top of it-aka her tent bed. If you have no idea what I'm talking about refer back to a posting in October 2007 to see the beloved bed. In a nutshell, her bed looks like a bunk bed with just the top bunk and a canopy that arches over the top of it. She has slept in this bed for a year and a half now and just LOVES it!
That brings us to last week. I kept noticing when I'd put Abi to bed she'd climb up the ladder with her chin buried into her chest. Once she got up on the bed she'd scurry up to her pillow and bury her head in that. I figured something was scaring her, but I wasn't sure what. I asked her if she was scared and she'd deny it saying she just likes to have her face buried in her pillow. I tried taking down the pictures that were hung on the wall within her eye sight, I made sure the nightlight was not blocked so it was nice and bright, and I kept trying to talk to her about what the problem was.
Finally, one night last week she wouldn't even take the final step from the step stool onto her bed and her head was pinned to her chest more than usual. I wasn't going to let this go on any longer. So I stood there and said to her that I could tell and I wanted her to show me what she was afraid of. With her head still pointed firmly toward the ground she pointed her arm straight up at the "tent" on her bed and she just said "the square." I had NO clue what she was referring to, so I made her begrudgingly climb up onto her mattress, while holding my handthe whole time , and show me exactly what she was referring to. There was a square sewn on the canopy for re-inforcement. I asked her what was so scary about it and this was the problem, "this square turns into a bunny and it goes like this!" and she started wagging her pointer finger from side to side. I tried to hold back the giggle because I was expecting something about ghosts or monsters, but it was a BUNNY that had been haunting my sweet little girl for the past week! Well, that night the tent came off the bed and hasn't been put back on for fear of the wiggly bunny terrorizing Abi while she dreams!
Don't you just love kids' imaginations? I don't understand them all the time, but I love them all the same!
5 comments:
That is so funny/cute! I miss Abi and her fun little personality. Hope things are going well with you guys.
I am glad you figured out what the problem was. What a sweetie!
oh how cute. i wouldn't want a wiggly bunny looking at me either.
Cute little girl
That made me laugh! What a funny little girl. Daniel got Abi's card the other day in the mail and he loved it! Thanks.
I just feel bad for these little kids. Jacob has trouble almost every night, and once he described a monster in his dreams that had no hands. But he said that was good, because the ones without hands can't break his bedroom windows. So sad! So I'm glad little Abi is safe from the wiggly bunny because kids have enough to deal with during the day!
Post a Comment