For a while now my girls have been going back and forth about wanting their ears pierced. (Abi kept on getting mad at me that I didn't have it done when they were babies since she was told that it doesn't hurt babies!) Well, on Christmas Eve we took the kids to the mall just to see what it's like at a mall at Christmastime. We happened to walk past Claire's and I nudged Steve and whispered to him to see if he would be game for getting the girls' ears pierced. He was up for the adventure so we asked the girls if they wanted to do...immediately Abi yelled, "No!!" But Emma really got excited...so we decided to give it a go with her.
We went in, got her seated and they gave her this cute little bear to hold on to while they did their thing. Everytime they went near her ears she flinched-I think she knew it was going to hurt :) So first the cleaned them, she flinched. Then they used a marker to mark where the earrings would go-she flinched. Then they shot those sharp little things through her ears (luckily they had two people there to do it so they went at the same time). After they did it she sat there for a second with this look of shock on her face and then started to cry. It was the saddest little cry, kind of like "why would you do that to a person?!?!" But those Claire's girls are experienced, they hurried and washed her ears which made them start to feel better and quickly have her a sucker-that did the trick-she was all smiles after that!
Hugging "Claire" the bear

Isn't she lovely? She chose emeralds since those are her birthstone.

Well Abi was still not convinced that this was something she wanted to do. She assured Steve and me that getting her ears pierced is something she would definitely do once she was an adult! No biggie, we were fine either way. Well, the next day once she realized that Emma's ears didn't still hurt she was ready to get her ears done-One problem-it was Christmas-no one was open. "How about tomorrow?" She kept asking...well, tomorrow's Sunday...bummer! The next day? Daddy has to work and I can't take all 3 of you alone. The next day? Daddy has to work and I can't take all 3 of you alone? The next day? Daddy has to work..etc, etc...Finally on New Years Day we were all home with nothing to do-except GO TO THE MALL! Abi was so excited that it was finally her turn to get her ears pierced. She quietly expressed some concern to me that she was scared and might cry. I told her that it is ok to cry, it doesn't mean you're not brave...so then she was ready! She flinched when they pierced her ears but she tried SO hard to hold in those tears. I kept telling her it was ok if she wanted to cry but she refused-what a silly girl. Then she got her sucker and she was all smiles! These girls are easily persuaded with candy!
Isn't she lovely? She went with her birthstone too-I think it's topaz? but all of a sudden I'm not sure.

These cuties are "patiently" waiting their six weeks before they can change their earrings...every day-is it time to change our earrings yet???
4 comments:
Cute story and cute girls.
Wow. I'm actually impressed that Steve went along with this (Greg will be sending him an email shortly...) Greg is very hard-set-fast against this until Pretty Girl is in her early 20s (if that).
I'm much more reasonable. She can get them when she's 10.
Good luck with all the alcohol/cleaning/changing stuff.
So cute! (And yes, it is a topaz. I hope she loves it. I was always a bit jealous that my sisters all had pretty birthstones & I didn't. :)
They make me want to pierce all the little-girl ears in this house.
Post a Comment