Sunday, March 6, 2011

What is this???

My poor little man is covered in hives and his face is all puffy :( The pediatrician is saying that it's viral and not to worry so we've been doing Benadryl every 6 hours-for 4 days now and it just gets worse and worse everyday. This morning when he woke up his eyes were almost swollen shut-this pic was taken after he'd been up for about an hour and the swelling had gone down a bit.Look how awful that looks! Fortunately he's not too uncomfortable or itchy, he's been a trooper.
This is how his whole body looks.
So, now my question...has anyone ever seen this on their kids or on yourself before? What did you do to get rid of it? How long did it take to clear up? I'd love any tips or advice anyone may have because I'm not having much success myself.

8 comments:

d.r. gib said...

That looks scary! i would get a second opinion. My friends little boy had a reaction to his chicken pocks vaccine, has he had shots recently? Good luck!

Courtney said...

I think you need to take him back in to the doctor. that is too long with no success, he might need a round of prednisone or dexamethasone or some steroid to get on top of the hives. Mom said he's been sick with a sinus infection too, I wonder if its related to that, maybe a resistant bacteria that he's reacting to. I know with Nate when he got sick with sinus or ears that his rashes would double in severity. He's been on Zyrtec for over a year now and has some good results with that. But if your ped. doesn't have another suggestion you might want to go to an allergist.

I am sorry -
I spent a lot of my childhood looking kind of like that, lots of antihistamines and cortisone cream. You might also try the oatmeal baths (the stuff they sell, not actual oatmeal :))

If you need anything let me know what I can do from here!

Courtney said...

Also - Daddy's blessings are always advisable!

Amanda said...

oh poor little guy! that does look horrible. i don't have any experience in that area but i hope it clears up soon! miss you guys!

Alisa said...

Ryan had rashes like that a couple of years ago. But it wasn't viral. My boys (but not my girls) are allergic to Tide in the Mountain Spring scent - or anything with the mountain spring scent. Even once we rewashed all their clothes, the rash/hives stayed for about a week to 10 days. Once the rash developed, it just took a while to work it's way through their system.
I feel bad for the little guy, though. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion, just in case.

Allison M. said...

That is HORRIBLE! I hope he's doing some better. My only advice would be epsom salt baths if he gets itchy, and also, I've always had better luck with the chewable benadryl than the liquid nastiness. It just seemed to work better. Jacob gets those hives occasionally. Its crazy how they just sort of move around. Its as if they are alive or something and moving around the body, occasionally rising to the surface. Hang in there, they look worse than they are, and hopefully they are already on the wane. Poor little fellow. Get better soon!

Rachael said...

The poor guy! Yes - definitely take him back to the Dr. and be assertive. Get some answers. Let us know how it goes.

Cath said...

Oh my goodness Hill! I haven't been to your blog in a while. Ouch!! Hope you don't go through that again!