Thursday, July 24, 2008

I HATE the dentist (no offense Gert!)

The last week or so when I've been helping Abi get her teeth brushed before bedtime I have noticed a little dark spot on one of her molars. I've been trying to scrub it really well and hope it's just a stain or something. Well, today she started telling me that her tooth has an owie or a sore-and that's the one she keeps pointing to. Obviously it's got a cavity, so I decided to call a pediatric dentist on our insurance's website to make an appointment. Pretty easy, right? WRONG! So I call them and they tell me they don't usually see kids until they're at least 3 1/2-Abi's only 2 1/2. I tell them that it's not just for a check up but that she's in pain...do they care and say oh bring her in then??? NO, they tell me too bad, we don't see them that young...uh, did I call the PEDIATRIC dentsit or what? So I get off with them and decide I'll just call the next one and make an appointment with them instead-guess what-SAME rule! On the third PEDIATRIC dentist I get the same story so finally I say to them, "well what do you suggest I do then? She's in pain!" You know what their response was to me??? Maybe we could try to get her in in SEPTEMBER! What??? What difference will that make? So then I call the dentist I went to about 2 months ago since his description on the website if Family Dentist-that might work...NOPE! What on earth do I do? My poor little girl has a sore tooth and I can't find anyone that will help me. If you can't tell, I am a tad bit FRUSTRATED! Any one have any suggestions? I am thinking I'm just going to have to open up the phonebook and start calling all of them, whether they're on my insurance plan or not, and keep trying until I find one.

Do any of you out here in my neck of the woods know of anyone that will see someone under 3?

9 comments:

d.r. gib said...

I am so sorry, I wish I knew something you could do. Maybe call her pediatrician (unless you said you already did) and see if they know of someone.

The Arbuckle's said...

Can children use sensodyne toothpaste? If you can't get her in to see a dentist maybe you can ease the pain a little bit.

This is good to know about pediatric dentist. I can't believe they won't see her just to see if it is a cavity or not.

I hope you find one.

Allison M. said...

My pediatrician recommended Dr. Moskowitz. He is not a 'pediatric' dentist, but treats several of the Pediatric Center doctors' kids. He is apparently just good with children. Jacob saw him once over a year ago, and seemed to like him, but there wasn't any real work done as far a cleanings, etc. So I don't know how his actual dentistry is. But I'll probably take Jacob back to him later this year. Here's his contact info if you're interested.

Name: Moskowitz David L DDS
Address : 1 Strawberry Hill Court
Phone : (203)327-5300

I do worry though that in a child Abi's age, they'd just pull it instead of trying to drill/fill.

Good Luck!

rachel said...

oh my gosh im so sorry how frustrating!!! i have no advice or help...sorry..good luck!

Kristen said...

no fun. Did you tell them you think she has a cavity. I think the suggestion about calling your pediatrician is a good call.

Kristen said...

no fun. Did you tell them you think she has a cavity. I think the suggestion about calling your pediatrician is a good call.

Alisa said...

That is really frustrating and weird! Our pediatric dentist recommends that we start bringing them in when they turn two- if only to get them used to coming. They don't hold still very well, so it's hard for the staff to do anything, but at least the kids get an early start. It's too bad we (and you) didn't know when you were here. Our dentist usually gives a free exam for two year olds. He's a family friend- he used to live in our ward. Maybe I'll call and ask if he knows anyone practicing out there in CT. It's a long shot, but you never know!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry! That is ridiculous! I have an idea...our dentist likes to see kids starting at 18 months- Lydia has an appointment in December actually. Why don't you come try our dentist! Ü

The Dillinghams said...

Good luck! Let us know what you find out. Your trip to Utah looks like a blast. Hopefully we can get together sometime soon once we're a little more on our feet over here:)