I am a total copy cat! Recently I have been noticing on various blogs that people are posting the story of how they met their hubbies and I decided that since this is the only journal/family history that I keep, I wanted to do the same. I will apologize up front, I am not as good of a story teller as some, we're not as romantic as others, but this is our story....
New Year's Eve 1998-1999 I was going to a party with some friends, nothing out of the ordinary, just our group of friends getting together to eat, play some games, count down to the new year. I arrived at the friend's home and immediately noticed someone new sitting on the couch. Who was this cute guy??? Why had he never come around before now? Hmmm...I was going to have to do some investigating! Come to find out, he had just returned home from his mission but he was really great friends with most of the people in the room. That was good news, that means he'll be around a lot more often! Bad news...there was already "someone else!" Oh well! Over the next few months we became great friends, he was always there when our group of friends got together, unfortunately, there was always a girl with him too. I decided to just push my crush aside and be content being "just friends."
Then April hits, a mission friend wants to go on a double date and who does Steve invite??? ME!!! Well, I was as nervous as could be, even though I was really good friends with Steve, it was different being on an official date with him. And because of my nerves, I kind of ruined it. I was really chatty with one of our other friends that we met up with later and Steve took it as me being interested in this other guy. Man, I blew it!!!
Over the next few months it was a lot more of hanging out, having fun...staying out late, gatherings at friends' homes, going to Lagoon, the usual young adult stuff. Two friends and I had been planning a two week trip to Austria for August (my friend's dad lives there, so we were going to go stay with him and do lots of fun stuff!). We took off on our adventure. While we were gone (and I never admitted this to my friends) I thought about Steve A LOT! We had a great time. We got to see some really amazing things, we rode a gondola in Venice, stayed in a hostel in Germany, and had a great girls getaway.
You know that saying, "absence makes the heart grow fonder?" Well, it is SO true! I was so excited to see Steve when we got back! And I think he felt the same way because within a few days he called and asked me out on an official date. And he knew exactly what I would like-he took me to a Peter Breinholt concert up at the Canyons. It was a great night and I was in HEAVEN!
That was the last first date I ever went on! We were practically inseparable from that first date on. After only 3 months of real dating, on December 3, 1999 Steve asked me out on what I thought was just another normal date. We went out to dinner at the Steak Pit at Snowbird. Then we got on our snow gear and hiked up a ski slope and went sledding-very tiring! We were resting on a mound of snow when Steve gets onto his knee in front of me and the rest is history. I was so nervous but even more than that, I was so happy and felt like everything was right in the world.
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to be married to a man that is so generous, loving, happy, silly, fun, caring, strong, smart, hardworking, selfless, righteous, honest, you name it-he's IT!
7 comments:
That was cute, Hill! I didn't know all those details! (Probably because I heard it from Steven-guys aren't good with details). I'm so glad you two are together!
What a cute story. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for telling! I missed all the fun details. I dodn't know you met on his bday. What a great present! Too bad you had to rush into marriage so I missed it. Ü Not that I'm bitter or anything. Love you guys!
Hill,
I even forgot some of the details, way to not tell us in Austria!! No Wonder you were not into IVAN!!!
Love ya!
I forgot some of those details too. That was nice to read.
PS you guys sure get around, look at all the places you have been.
This was a great story.
Love it! A 3 month courtship :) That's just so sweet. Would love to hear Steve's side of the story. My bet is part of the attraction was your beautiful eyes. Seriously Hillary - you have the most clear, radiant eyes of anyone I know. So I'm sure they were just sparkling in the snow reflection when he asked you :) sigh...
Post a Comment