The first almost 48 hours of our trip was spent taking care of Abi who developed a bad case of the stomach flu as soon as we passed Fillmore, UT-about 2+ hours away from our home. We were half way to our destination in our fun little car when all of a sudden Abi declares that she's cold-well, all I had was an extra shirt of mine out of my suitcase. I drape it over her like a blanket and we continue down the road. Then comes another declaration, "Mom, my mouth hurts!" I wasn't sure what this was leading to but all of a sudden she threw up all over my shirt that was being used as her blanket. Luckily Steve had an empty plastic cup in the car that was supposed to be his sunflower seed shell disposal-not anymore, it was now a throw up catcher. Poor girl! I told Steve I was confused why she said her mouth hurt-I thought maybe that's how her little mind interpreted the sensation of throwing up-apparently Steve's glands start to really hurt right before he throws up, interesting! Sorry if that's more than you needed to know.
Abi's never thrown up before so she started asking me why she did. I tried to explain it to her by saying sometimes your tummy starts to feel sick because there's something in there that your stomach doesn't like. Your body tries to make you feel better by making it come out in the form of throw up. So, in her sweet little I-don't-feel-good voice she pretends she's the throw up and says,"I want to come out and get all over your shirt!" It was so funny that I couldn't stop laughing!
Well, to summarize the rest of the stomach flu part of our trip, we cleaned up more throw up, diarrhea (we ended up buying some pull-ups because we didn't like cleaning this up), doing tons of laundry-that's why we were really glad to be in the condo and not a hotel-we had a washer and dryer right there, we didn't have to run back and forth to a laundromat. Plus we had a fridge we could stock up with Gatorade.
Thanks Jim and Renae for letting us use the condo and we swear that it didn't smell anymore by the time we left-I think we got it all cleaned up.
One more funny little Abi-ism that we heard from her while she wasn't feeling well (stop reading here if you have a really sensitive stomach, but it's pretty funny): The first time she had diarrhea in the potty she described is as her "bum throwing up in the potty." :)
Pictures of the rest of our vacation are still to come, but I had to document the funny things she said before I forgot them.
4 comments:
oh man Taft had that some thing this week! Not fun at all. Wow I can't believe that is the first time she has thrown up. I love how she tried to interpert everything.
What a sweet heart! Zach told us the last time he threw that he "spilled" And doesn't it break your heart when they keep telling you they are sorry for throwing up.
no fun to have sick kids. Glad she is feeling better and I hope that you are feeling well too.
Oh Hillary, that is no fun. Being on vacation with a sick kid. We've been there as well. I hope you are doing well. Bre
Post a Comment