Sunday, September 4, 2011

The first ever Arveseth family campout

For our anniversary this year Steve and I decided to get a family-size tent. We decided that it was time that we attempt a family campout and with the arrival of our friends, the Andersons, in PA we had the perfect company to go with. They heard of a place down in Maryland called Elk Neck State Park that would be great for us-they had bathrooms, showers, water, a playground...everything you might need for camping with 6 little kids.

It was pouring buckets as we drove down. I must confess, I wasn't really wanting to go and even kept trying to talk Steve out of it since it was such awful weather. But, we decided to drive to the campground and see what happened when we got there. Well, by the time we pulled in, the rain had stopped. Now the only problem was the mud and puddles-that Jason found the second he got out of the car!

Even with all of that, we had a great time. Once we got camp all set up we built a fire, roasted hot dogs, made s'mores, all that traditional camping stuff you'd expect. By this time it was getting pretty late and the kids needed to go to bed. They were amazing, even Jason fell asleep right away...this was the part I was most stressed out about and it was a breeze! They slept ALL night too, it was great!

The next morning we got up and made scrambled eggs and bacon-it was DELISH! The guys cleaned up breakfast while we got the kids dressed and cleaned up and we were off for a walk/hike to a lighthouse that was nearby. The walk was about a mile and the kids did great. Jason even walked about half way up and part of the way back down. You had to be a certain height to climb the lighthouse so Abi was the only of our kids that could go up. Steve took her up while I stayed with the other two...it would have been a breeze except for the bitey flies-they were EVERYWHERE!!! and they wouldn't stop biting!!!

After the lighthouse we made lunch-the Andersons made lunch I should say. They made super delicious BBQ chicken, watermelon, chips, the works! Then we packed up and went home. It was a lot of work for a short amount of time, but we had lots of fun! The kids were in heaven the whole time playing with friends, running around, finding frogs, getting muddy (I think Jason went through about 5 outfits-good thing I brought extras!)and sleeping in the tent.


2 comments:

Rachael said...

Jealous again that you and the Andersons get to do such fun stuff like this. Wish we could have come with you. And that's awesome all the kids slept so well - esp. Jason.

Steph said...

What a fun campout! So glad you guys decided to join us despite the unpredictable weather.