Friday, January 23, 2009

Thinking warm thoughts

This time of year is hard for me. I am one who loves warm, sunny weather and playing outside as much as possible. Well, January is such a cold and dreary month-especially here in Utah were you get the nasty inversion where disgusting, gross air gets caught in the middle of the city-held in by the surrounding mountains like a thick gray soup. So lately I've been trying to think of the summertime, all the fun activities that I like to do when it's warm and sunny out. I decided to write them down here so I can refer back to it on these cold, dark days.

~Waterskiing-I LOVE this particular activity, it's an easy top choice on my list! It's especially nice when it includes a week at Lake Meade or Lake Powell. That probably won't happen for a while, but a girl can dream, right?

~Taking the girls to the park. It's so fun watching them test their limits of bravery and try out the big slide, or explore and have fun.

~Going to the Zoo...the Bronx Zoo was my favorite. This place is so huge! I've been to it at least five times and have yet to see everything there. Plus it's really shady so it's pleasant on hot days.

~The beach...Oh how I miss the beach! I usually went to Calf Pasture in Norwalk since it was free for us, but my favorite by far is Island Beach in Greenwich, CT. The last couple of days Abi has been asking me if we can go to the beach and dig in the sand...that was her favorite thing to do at the beach. I guess we're going to need to get a sandbox!

~Walking around Manahttan enjoying the tourist attractions and sometimes the tourists themselves-pretty entertaining.

~Going to St. George. I know it gets REALLY HOT there in the summer, but that's perfect for me. Even if we just lounge around the condo all day-it's just a nice getaway!

~Going up into the mountains. A perfect place to escape the heat when it's been really hot for a while. Going up to Park City or Snowbird and going on the Alpine Slide, the tram, or taking a hike up to a mountain lake-so peaceful!

~Golfing. I haven't done this since I was pregnant with Abi and I miss it. I'm not great at it, but it's fun to go out with Steve and enjoy the beautiful different courses and try to improve on this challenging game.

~Going for walks. Another relaxing activity that keeps the girls entertained and lets them see and explore new places. I especially love going out in the evenings when it's dark but still warm.

~Going to baseball games; Yankees or Bees (Buzz, whatever they're called now) it's just fun being at the game.

~Walking outside from a cold, air conditioned building into the hot sun. Oh, I love how that feels!!!

Well, there it is. I wish I was doing the things on this list today. I guess I need to be patient and know that summer will be here soon enough!

3 comments:

d.r. gib said...

I know what you mean, it is hard when it is raining instead of snowing, it makes it feel like spring and that summer is just around the corner, but we still have a while. Before we know it, it will be so hot we just want to stay inside. I am glad I got to experience a couple of those things on your list from Connecticut. Here's to many water skiing trips and digging in the sand.

Heather said...

Hill...I am so there with you. January is my least favorite month. Bring on the warm weather...puhlease!!!

Amanda said...

Daniel was asking about Abi yesterday. Just letting you know we're thinking about you! Hope all is well.