Sunday, July 26, 2009

An Addict!!!

I feel like an addict-maybe I AM an addict, I'm not sure...we are FINALLY getting Emma off of the bottle-I know, I know, she's been 2 for 2 whole months now-Don't judge me ;)  I've been wanting to do this for a few months now, but I have been so exhausted and such with this pregnancy that I have been putting it off.  I finally decided the other day (after reading Lindsey Arbuckle's last post about Noah and the binki) that I just needed to go for it-it wasn't going to get any easier...and if I waited too much longer and we get closer to this little guy's due date it would be harder for her once she sees him drinking out of a bottle.  

So, Friday night Emma and I made a trek over to Smith's Marketplace to pick out some "special big girl cups" and a special little doll for bedtime to replace her "Baby bottles."  She was all excited and kept saying "I'm a big girl!!!"  She actually did really well the first night, I was SO excited about it.  Well, yesterday morning was ALL TEARS for almost an hour, she really wanted one.  We (and by WE I mean Steve) finally got her calmed down and distracted enough that she stopped thinking about it.

Then last night hits-OH BOY!!!  The saddest tears I've heard in a LONG time!  For almost an hour all I heard was "Mooommmmaaa, I want a baby bottle!"  and not in an annoying whiny tone, just pure sadness!  It made me so SAD!  This is where the addict part comes in-I was just itching to run to the cupboard in the kitchen and pull a bottle out-just ONE more, that's it and then I swear I'm done!  No, I can't, if I do one more, than I'll be tempted to do one more after that!  Well, I just laid next to her for an hour and rubbed her back while she cried herself to sleep...it was SO hard!  Harder than when we took Abi off the bottle.  But, hey, she did it!

Then she wakes up and the first thing this morning, "Momma, I wanna baby bottle" in that same heartbreakingly sad tone!  Only this time the cupboard with all the bottles is in my peripheral vision-my hand starts twitching in that general direction-just ONE bottle-she's SO sad!!!  One more, that's all and then I swear I'm DONE-FOREVER!!!  I think I'm more addicted to the bottle than Emma, I should have done this months ago and it probably would have been just as hard, but she can handle it-it's me, the MOM, that can't!  I rely on that bottle to keep my little Emma Lu happy!  Well, I held my ground again and sat on the kitchen floor for about 25 minutes and held Emma while she cried.  Finally I got the idea (it had to have been divine inspiration) to pour her milk in a normal sippy cup that she was used to instead of her new "big girl cup" and she grabbed it and ran happily away from me! 

I guess I just need to "flush" all those bottles so they won't be a temptation to me anymore.  It seems like Emma just hates her big girl cups more than she hates not having the bottle!  I'm a little nervous to trash the bottles incase I NEED one more bottle at some point, but if I keep giving in we're never going to get over this ADDICTION!!!

5 comments:

The Arbuckle's said...

Way to be tough. It is so hard for the parent. At times I wanted to give Noah his binkies so bad but I thought that I would have to go through the same process again.

Hope Emma is doing well.

Kristen said...

so hard. It is so hard to hear them cry. Put them in a bag and in a box away. That is what we did when we got rid of the pacifier.

d.r. gib said...

I understand! I think i am more attached to the binkie then Kayla. I boxed up all the bottles too so I wouldn't be tempted. (Bonus points to you for telling this in a very clever and witty manner!)

Unknown said...

The hardest part of our addiction is Daddy- he's a sucker for whatever they ask.

Steph said...

I feel your pain. We need to get rid of Ty's bottle and his binki.I keep putting it off. At first I said I'll wait until after Utah, then it was after the camping trip, and the list goes on and on. I keep making excuses because I'm dreading it. The bottle won't be as much of an issue but Ty is completely attatched to the binki. He will be able to handle it I'm sure, its me I'm worried about.