well, we're getting there. We found out why my little Jason was such a volcano-he had Pyloric Stenosis. The valve (the pylorus) that goes from the stomach into his intestines was being squeezed shut by the muscle around it, cutting off the flow. Basically, when he drank his bottle the food would go into his stomach but then it couldn't continue the digestive process into his intestines because it couldn't get through. So, after it was in there for so long building up, there was only one other way out-back up his throat and out his mouth!
Tuesday night, well I guess it was technically Wednesday morning, we heard him "errupting" so I went to check on him and he was covered in spit up that was really dark brown-almost red. Freaked me out because it looked like blood. Turns out it was blood! I called the pediatrician's office and luckily my pediatrician was the one on call. He suggested I take Jas into the ER since he was spitting up blood. After a few tests, and X Ray, and an ultra sound they diagnosed him with this. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is with surgery-they cut the muscle that is constricting the pylorus to loosen it up. But, unfortunately again, Jason was SO dehydrated from all of this that they couldn't do the surgery until his electrolyte count was up and his alkalitity levels (his body was too acidic from all the throwing up) were down. He was on an IV for day and a half when they finally were able to do the surgery.
It all went well and we were finally able to feed him and he's doing a pretty good job of keeping it down. He has thrown up a few times but they said that is normal because his stomach was so swollen. He was finally able to come home today and we are so glad. It's great to have us all under one roof again!
We have such an amazing ward here who looked after our girls during all of this ordeal. We really have felt so blessed and looked after, it's just amazing!!!
Check out his progress during his stay:
This is him on the first day still down in the ER-he looks MISERABLE!!!
Here he is just after his surgery on Thursday-so sleepy, but still cute as ever!
He's starting to feel a little better. He's had a bottle or two so he's not starving anymore

By Friday night he was all smiles! I thought he was a happy, pleasant child before-all he does when he's awake now is smile (as long as he has some Tylenol in him anyway). We can tell he is feeling a lot better. 
If you are ever in the area and need a good children's hospital go to the Alfred I duPont Children's hospital in Wilmington, DE-they were AMAZING!
12 comments:
It is so GREAT to see and hear Jason is doing better and home! The last picture with his smile is so sweet.
He looks so bright eyed. This is good to see. Thanks for keeping pictures flowing our way!
It's really Mom's comment. But Dad signed in for me to see the latest on your blog
What a difference in the pictures! We are so glad he is doing well, and this should hopefully mean no more erupting! Less laundry for you.
I so glad he's doing better. I've been checking your blog since Allison sent me the email about it. I hope it all continues to get better. He looks a lot like Abi in those picture to me:)
so glad that he is doing better!!
I agree with Ashley, Jason totally looks like an Arveseth baby, very cute. What a relief that he is going to be okay. We'll keep praying anyway, just in case...
Great news to hear that he is doing better. We sure have been thinking about you guys. What a cutie he is!
Hillary,
Allison Martinez passed an email along from your sister. What a frightning experience. I am so glad that everything went so well. Your little Jason looks like he is doing so much better. I was thinking the same thing as Ashley, he dose look a lot like Abi.
Take care, Bre.
I'm so glad the surgery went well and that he is keeping things down.
I was waiting to hear when you would have surgery, since you are the one who always gets sick after your pregnancy.
Glad to hear he is home and doing well. Hopefully we can visit with you soon.
oh my goodness! Bless his heart! These pictures just make me want to cry! What a trooper! Loved catching up on your blog tonight. As for Steve - what? Celiac disease? When did that happen? And I saw on our caller ID that (I think it was you) called! I don't know any other H Arveseths! Sorry we missed you!!!
Wow! I had no idea Jason was having so much trouble. I'm so behind when it comes to the blogging world. I'm SO glad he is doing better.
I hope you and your family are adjusting to life in Pennsylvania.
Post a Comment