
(I didn't take this pic, just got it off of Google-I tried to take some pics, believe me!)
The kids, Steve, and I have really enjoyed the fireflies this spring! They are one of the most intriguing creatures to me, how do they glow? Is it something electrical in them that does it? If not, what is it that makes them glow? Why does it seem like there are millions and millions of them? Why do they only hang around for a few weeks? Why, when you squish one on your windshield, does it continue to glow for another minute or so?
They are very friendly little bugs. The girls and I were out on our deck last night watching them and Abi started chasing one of them around. She stuck her hand out and it actually flew over to her and landed on her cute little thumb. A little while later it happened again, she thought it was the COOLEST thing EVER that she had to lightning bugs land on her.
I was bummed when I learned last Sunday that they only last for about a month and after the 4th of July they'll be gone. I was really hoping that they stuck around all summer, I could watch them every night and never grow tired of them. I especially love driving down the highway at night. The highway here is lined with trees and all throughout the trees are these glowing little bugs. Up high, down low and everywhere in between...it sort of reminds me of Christmas lights. The fields all have the same little twinkle to them as well.
This is one of those wonderful little treats that you get to experience living out here in the east, I love it!!!
3 comments:
Hey! We were out catching Fireflies last night too! I agree about it being a fun eastern thing. I remember if from my childhood, and I hope my kids do too.
Aren't they just magical? I run out every night to sit on my porch and watch them. It will be a sad day when they are gone. Hillary, please come see us! We could also plan to meet somewhere! How far apart are we? How's the gluten free eating going? I am still a single mom, but only for 3 more weeks. I'm almost there.
Those fireflies are probably in our Top 10 list of things we miss most about the east. Glad they are with you guys.
Post a Comment